Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lets Party Fiesta Forever

In the previous post I wrote that I was wanting to get to bed early last Saturday night since I was preaching the next morning. I laid my head on my pillow at 11:30 to the sound of my neighbors fiesta in her front yard, (our houses touch). Anyone that knows me very well can tell you that I'm a very light sleeper. I have woken up many times on youth trips catching teens preparing to spray me with shaving cream or attempting some other prank. So being a light sleeper has benefited me in the past, but not so much in Mexico. Since I wasn't going to get any sleep for a while anyways, I decided to take the dog, Rowdy, out to go "potty" again. As I stood there in the front yard with my dog shirtless watching the neighbors firing up a grill, two men walked by on their way to the neighbors party. One stopped to pet my dog and started speaking to me in English. As it turns out he is from Korea and is here working at the port, (Manzanillo has the largest port in Mexico). The other man with him spoke English also and is the father of one of Hudson's friends that has come over to play on several occasions. They then invited me to the party next door. So there I stood with my dog in nothing but my shorts tired and ready for sleep, the selfish part of me wanted to be back in my bed where my wife was already asleep and where I wouldn't have to step out of my comfort zone. But I knew that is not why we're here. I have said before and constantly desire to be a bond-servant for Christ to live for His glory not mine and this was a small opportunity to do just that. Of course I wasn't going to be ridiculed or tortured for going to the neighbors party and maybe none of those people will ever come to church, but regardless of how they respond I need to do what I feel is Jesus' will, not mine. So I went to the party, they pulled up a chair for me, gave me a 2nd supper for the night (I think it was beans with steak on top), and the men that knew English were very friendly and talked with me the whole time I was there. I was offered beer and tequila numerous times. I told them I was a missionary and that I was preaching in the morning, but they still didn't understand why I didn't want to drink. One guy showed up and started talking with me and the Korean, Jack, he told us if we wanted he could get us marijuana or peyote. I politely said "no thanks" while at the same time laughing. I eventually made it to bed at 2 am, the party was still going strong but by this time I was tired enough that the noise didn't bother me, or maybe it was because I didn't find the neighbors as obnoxious. Either way I went to sleep. The next morning Heidi said, "I couldn't hardly sleep last night, that party was going on till 3 am." I smiled and said, "I know, I was there."

No comments:

Post a Comment