Thursday, September 10, 2009

You bought what?

Last Saturday we went to a girl from the church's Quince Años birthday celebration. Shortly after we arrived here in Mexico she asked us to be Padrinos for her party. We weren't really sure what this meant, but were honored to be asked. We soon found out that it meant that we pay for half of her dress for the party. "OK", we thought, "how much can a dress cost? and we're only paying half." As time to purchase the dress came closer we found out that the other lady that was buying the other half of the dress lost her job, but would still pay $40 towards the dress. When it was time to take this young girl to buy the dress she had already picked out, we realized the price was $250 U.S. This was more than what we thought the cost would be. But after listening to an explanation from another missionary here, we agreed to do what we committed to do and buy the dress. Let me explain why we choose what we did. In the Mexican culture this is the biggest day in a girls life, 2nd maybe to her wedding. It is her coming into womanhood. And with this family, like several that we are working with, they have very little money. The dad works, the mom stays at home and takes care of the 6 kids while being pregnant with a 7th. When we went to pick her up for the party at her house we were able to see the inside for the first time. The whole house is one room about the size of a foyer at your local church with an outside patio for the kitchen. There is one dresser, and a bed pushed up next to a couch for the kids to sleep on. From what I observed they don't have a car. Every Sunday the girls either ride with someone else to church or take a taxi. This will probably be the one time in her life that this young girl will get to feel like a princess. What is considered poor in the US would seem more like middle class here. We are here for the people trying to show Christ's love with our lives. Do I think Jesus would have wanted me to buy the dress.... I honestly don't know. If I knew then what I know now would I agree to be the dress purchaser again? Probably. My guess is that I'll find out eventually as I am expecting to be asked again sooner or later.
The party was a lot of fun. When we sat down at a table all of the young people from the church came and sat with us, they even pulled up extra chairs. This was encouraging to us since our focus here is on them. They must like us! By the time we got home and put the kids to bed it was 11 pm. The next morning I was preaching so I wanted to get to bed ASAP, but that didn't happen. Details in the next post!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you would hesitate - it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, and how many girls in the states spend that routinely 3, 4 times before they graduate high school?

    Show love however you can - even if it costs cash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cliff hanger ending..love it! If I were trying to live on your budget I'd have some of the same thoughts. I'm grateful that unlike me, you did the thing that would keep the doors of their hearts open. Another thought is, the locals may not realize the sacrificial giving that was required by you and your family to do this. I am thinking that the rewards ie sharing that special time with the young "woman" and her family is priceless in and of itself.
    Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you sat in the chairs, that I paid for? and you know that was a great sacrifice to my budget! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just kidding Ryan, you are right they do not own a car. seriously you are doing a great job, and those kids like you for some awful reason!

    ReplyDelete